Hot Addiction by Lynn Raye Harris

Search the Blog

The Mighty Storm by Samantha Towle

Sunday, September 30, 2012
Synopsis: It's been twelve years since Tru Bennett last saw Jake Wethers, her former best friend and boy she once loved.

Jake Wethers, sexy, tattooed and deliciously bad lead singer, and brains behind The Mighty Storm, one of biggest bands in the world, left Tru with a broken heart when he moved from England to America with his family when they were both fourteen.

Sent to interview Jake for her music column by the magazine she works for, they are both unprepared for the sparks that fly the instant they reconnect. Only, there’s a complication to their instant feelings for one another – Will, Tru’s boyfriend of two years.

Then Jake makes Tru a job offer she can't refuse - travelling the world with him and his band. But taking the job means leaving Will behind, and being on the road with the band means spending an inordinate amount of time with Jake.

Is Tru strong enough to resist the delectable bad boy who once held her heart so completely, or will she willingly risk it all for one night with the worlds most notorious womanizer?


Review:
-->The Mighty Storm was one of those books that I REALLY wanted to like, especially with all of the rave reviews on Goodreads, but sadly it did not meet my expectations. There were TWO main things that killed this book for me.

First, the prose was horrendous. I liked to be shown not told, but instead in the beginning the author, just kind of shoves all of this (past history) information down the reader’s throat. I feel like it was Mrs. Towle’s way of trying to make the reader understand why the topic of Jake Whethers for Trudy is such a big deal. It would’ve been better to show us. Trudy as a character annoyed me. She claims to love her boyfriend Will, but almost immediately jumps at the opportunity to go out to dinner with Jake instead of him, jumps into bed with him and repeatedly cheats on him. Over the course of the book Will is nothing but an awesome boyfriend, always supportive and so it really makes Tru seem like a total Queen B. I actually liked Will way more than I liked Jake. I think the thing that disturbed me about this book, was the fact that Tru claimed she loved her boyfriend, but then proceeded to stab him in the back. It would’ve been different if she was indifferent to Will or maybe the relationship was getting stale, but no he was devoted to her and she was always telling him and herself that she loved him. Another thing that I thought was strange was the plot of the book. I was about 60% of the way through the book when I was like oh it’s going to end here, and I look down and I’m like well, I guess not. What’s the other 40%? The other 40% should’ve been a second book. Lol literally. I don’t understand why the author wanted to tackle some last minute issues at the end. It would’ve been better to do a follow up story where she explorers the issues of the relationship that they have and Jake’s drug problems.

That said, there were some things I did like. The drama of the story is what really drove me to read further. I liked the overall plot idea and I enjoyed many of the background characters like Stuart. Although Trudy annoyed me, she did actually make me feel SOMETHING toward her. So I have to give Samantha Towle credit for making interesting characters. Overall, not my cup of tea, but I could see why other readers might like it.



Copyright © 2014 These Curves Talk
Template by These Paper Hearts